How YouScan determines geolocation of a mention
We figure out post location by using one of the following methods:
Using the post's geotag;
If there is no geotag, we use the author's location (from their profile);
If the author did not specify their location, we use the location indicated in the publication source (group, community, social media page).
Maps (Google Maps, 2Gis and Yandex.Maps)
Reviews and comments on maps are automatically geotagged; we use this tag to determine location.
News media, forums, review sites
There are two ways to determine post location from these types of sources:
Author's location, if available;
If not, we look at the domain name. For example, .fr means France, .ua - Ukraine, .uk - The United Kingdom.
Google Play, App Store
In Google Play, location is determined by the language in which the review is written.
For App Store reviews, we use country information specified at the purchase stage.
How to use geolocation in YouScan
By knowing the location of a mention, you can figure out the perception of your brand in that specific country or region. This can help you evaluate the impact of your marketing campaigns in various regions, for example.
You will encounter geotags in several YouScan sections, such as:
1. In topic settings, you can filter by country.
2. You can adjust filters in an existing topic if you want to expand or narrow down the scope of your monitoring efforts. To do so, go to Settings → Filter and select the desired countries.
🧐 Learn more about modifying monitoring topics here.
3. In the mention stream, you can see the post's location on every mention.
4. Internal topic filters allow you to sort your mention stream by country, region or city.
5. In the Analytics dashboard, you can see an interactive map that shows where most of the mentions in your topic originated.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message via chat!