In this article, you'll learn:
- Why you need authorization
- Accounts that should be authorized and permissions you need to do that
- Step-by-step instructions on how to authorize an account
- What you can do when you do not have access to the necessary Facebook Page
- Authorization expiry dates and how to renew expired authorization
- How to turn authorization off
Why you need to authorize Instagram and Facebook in YouScan
You need authorization in order to collect Instagram data in your topics. Without it, this information cannot be collected.
Authorization also allows you to include your entire Instagram account as a channel, in order to collect the following into your topic stream:
- All account posts, even if they don't contain the keywords;
- All comments on the account;
- All posts from the "Tagged" section (other users tagging your account on photos).
Accounts that should be authorized and permissions you need to do that
- Authorization requires you to have a Business Account on Instagram: your company's account or a Creator Account. To check or change your account type, go to your Instagram Settings. Learn how to set up a Business Account.
- Authorization takes place through your business page on Facebook (the one linked to your Instagram account). Check that you have the ability to approve apps for the Page. You can learn more about page roles in Facebook's Help Center. If you don't have the right role/permission level, follow the steps in the next section.
- If you want to collect all posts and comments from a specific Instagram account, make sure to authorize the desired account.
How to authorize an account
1. Go to Account Settings in YouScan.
2. Select "Social accounts" in the right-hand menu.
3. Select "Add authorization."
4. In the pop-up window, select "Continue with Facebook".
5. Select the profile you will use for authorization. Reminder: You need to have the right level of access and page role that allows you to add apps to that business page on Facebook.
6. Select the Instagram account you'd like to authorize and click "Next."
7. Select the business Facebook Page associated with that Instagram account and click "Next".
8. Toggle all permissions ON for YouScan, as seen in the screenshot below, and click "Done".
These permissions are necessary to collect Instagram posts for your topic in YouScan.
9. If the authorization is successful, Facebook will redirect you back to YouScan and you will see the new authorization in the "Social accounts" section.
☝️ If you want to monitor all posts, comments and tags of your Instagram account, don't forget to include the account in Settings → Channels in your desired topic.
Learn more about channels here.
What you can do when you do NOT have access to the necessary Facebook Page
Send an authorization link to the Page admin.
To get the link:
1. Go to Account Settings.
2. Go to "Social Accounts."
3. Select "Add authorization."
4. In the pop-up window, select "Add with link."
🎉 The link is automatically copied to your clipboard. Send it to the Page admin to set up authorization. The admin will need to follow steps 5-8 from the previous section.
Authorization expiry dates and how to renew expired authorization
⚠️ Authorization stays active for 60 days. In order not to lose any important data don't forget to renew your authorization from time to time.
You will receive a notification that your authorization will soon be over 7 days before it's expired. To avoid any disruptions in Instagram data collection delete it and enable authorization again
You will receive a different notification if your authorization is already expired. Feel free to renew it in this case.
You can temporarily snooze the notification by pressing "Remind after 7 days".
☝ The notification will disappear once you renew all the authorizations needed for data collection from the added accounts. You will see the notification in all the topics within your account.
How to turn authorization off
You can disable authorization in your Facebook settings in the "Business Integrations" section.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our support chart (bubble on the right-hand side), we're always happy to help!